God is in CONTROL

Friday, February 19, 2010

It's been a good week . . .

I got this return call last Sat. night and it was our little friend telling us she was excited to have "Aunty Jan Day" with me on her NO SCHOOL DAY on Monday -- our President's Day vacation
These are special times for the two of us -- we do projects, make a regular trip to Wal-Mart, talk a lot and keep this whole routine she likes to do every time she comes to our house. Ten minutes before her mom picked her up she looked up at me hinting for a sweet snack and said, "I thought we'd get to make some chocolate chip cookies while I was here." She didn't buy my explanation that Uncle Terry and I had given up cookies in pursuit of a leaner body.

She makes up stories for me and I find myself caught up in her tales and trying to get her to embellish them a little more. Our little friend can see the whole world in a lady bug, a patch of wild strawberries or some small acorns on the driveway. When I spend time with her, observing life from the eyes of a six yr. old, I get caught up in the "real stuff" of life and all the other big people stuff doesn't seem to matter so much.

It was a great way to celebrate the Presidents with a precocious little gal who could some day could be the leader of the free world.

The rest of the week, my classes went well - -
In my life skills class we're finishing up a parenting unit -- and passed "Baby Think It Over" around the room on Thursday. (With everything that has happened with Bethany -- I had to wait a bit before continuing this unit.)
Every two minutes the students would have to hand it off to another person to care for -- which would make the baby start to scream and wail again. The person then tries to feed, burp, rock or change the baby's diaper (which has an electronic sensor sewn in). If the head falls slightly it makes the baby really angry and it cries for two more minutes. This went on for three class periods. By the end of it all, my nerves were shot and I wanted to scream and wail myself!!!

Marinelle and I hope that these babies will teach a powerful lesson about waiting for parenthood; This afternoon a gal in her Parenting and Child Develoment Class who was required to take the baby home for a 24-hour period, rushed back in an hour after school the "mechanical baby" screaming. She asked for Mrs. M, moaning, "I can't take it any longer -- I'm gonna have to give this kid back -- I'm never having kids!!!" Evidentally the controls got stuck and the two-minute crying jag went on for two to three hours.

Today was senior take-over day -- my Youth Alive President, Sydney, was "Mrs. Bell" She started each class for me and helped me get a lot of notebooks graded and earned lunch out with me for all her hard work!!!


Best news of the week -- today I got an invitation to Bethany's baby shower in Kansas City !!!Tomorrow she will be at 25 weeks. Campbell Hope is up to one pound three ounces the perinatologist reports.
Bethany plans to return to her teaching post this next Monday morn. Her special friends from Tulsa are joining her today for a gal's weekend in KC. BTW on THursday night Bethany and Mat found out French Silk pie makes "Baby Hope" really active!!!
. . .Thinking she must have a sweet tooth like her Granny Jan!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers