God is in CONTROL

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Up and Running


Well, my first day of school finally got here -- and I was able to meet my 110+ students -- the older I get the longer it takes me to remember their names.

I thought I would try out their names (without my seating chart) on the 3rd day -- Sergio wasn't Sergio -- he was Mario or was it Marco? Right now they all still look alike to me. I called one guy by his last name, thinking it was his first. (I was close) I tried it out -- good thing I don't embarrass too easily -- I'd have to close up my briefcase and go home.

One young woman let me know who she can't sit next to because they get into fights.
(How old are these kids, anyway?)

I'm amazed at how many students are new to the school this year, coming in from Colorado, Denver, Wisconsin. Those are the ones that seem to need me to talk to them a little more. I have one question on my get acquainted activity, I like to ask -- "Where would you rather be, than sitting in that seat right there?" They willing volunteer where there hearts are right now. You know being a new kid on the block is hard at any age -- even for teachers.


Gave my dress code and cell phone lecture -- I'm always glad to get that over with.
The cell phone situation is a big deal -- It seems to be their lifeline. Who are all those people they talk to anyway? What do they have left to talk about at lunch? They will tell me their mom just txt msg to tell them they have a dr. appointment after school. Must have a lot of appointments. Hope they have healthcare.

Seems like a great bunch -- can't wait to get to know them better! 'It's gonna be a good year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers