God is in CONTROL

Monday, July 6, 2009

The Room Upstairs


I have been touched by the unnamed Shunammite woman in 2 Kings for many years. I identified with her early in my marriage because she, too, was a woman who was infertile. As the story unfolds, the prophet Elisha, in repsonse to her generous hospitality of building a room on the top of the house for him, prayed for her and her elderly husband to have a child.

I like it when our extra room upstairs becomes an "Elisha" room.. . . for the folks God sends our way. I enjoy stocking it with goodies. (Terry and I have a rule of checking the other’s schedules first before we fill up the house.) We are housing such a man of God right now who is preparing himself for the ministry. It is thrilling to anticipate the ways God is going to use him.

From time –to-time God has sent some extraordinary guests. . . ones in whom I couldn’t necessarily see a God-shaped plan – and I find I wrestle more with it because it isn’t always the smoothest of times. The rewards of that time are often seen much later and I have to keep praying to continue that spirit of hospitality. God reminded me recently of our friend Chad, who has this generous heart that gives and gives unconditionally. You see, he believes that if he has it and you need it or want it– it is your’s.

Bethany's wise words echoed that, “Mom you don’t know what God wants this person to see and know from living at your home. “ Scripture confirms – do not forget to entertain strangers because in so doing you may be housing and hosting angels. I don't want to miss out on that possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers