God is in CONTROL

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Blizzard of 2011 - Day 9: - 5-6 More Inches of the White Stuff


How long have we been at this?  Every day of February to be exact!!  Today is my 7th School Snow day of this storm -- 9th since the first of January.  'Wonder when we will be out this Spring?  Why did I think I needed to still get up and tune in to my buddies on Channel 6 this morning like I did all of last Tuesday?  I guess I want an update on how much snow is actually falling -- I could just look outside and see everything was covered up that we Terry cleared off.  Yesterday  was the first day that I thought I just had to get out and drive my little car all by myself.  Good thing, because the roads are a mess again!

Seriously, I have enjoyed this time off to complete several projects that I never seemed to get around to --I even did some deeper cleaning and tackled some work I've put off for weeks, like mending.  I fortified the garden room yesterday against that pesky finch, sealing it off completely -- and did lots of sanitizing and felt victorious -- (only to discover this morning that cocky little bird had found another way in)


 I spent 3-4 hours repairing  completing a couple of the lapblanket for nursing home clients that my students finished in early January.  The kids created their own patterns, coordinated the colors,  sewed the squares together, added the batting and backs and did an awesome job.  We have 7 of these small wheel chair blankets that will go to nursing home residents who have special needs.  It's an effort to help them learn to serve and to give back.  The students  took great pride in their work -- one was even made by a young man.  A young woman shared with me that she'd lost her grandmother last semester to Alzhiemers and that she had passed away in a nursing home.
One  young lady who stressed over hers' the entire time -- working so hard to get it perfect - brought it to me the last day for one final approval.  She confessed that she'd found  three straight pins in the binding and wondered how we'd get them out . . . hmmm -- guess who got to tackle that project this morning.   Can't wait to deliver these to two of the care centers near our school.   I'm hoping some of my students will be able to go along.

I told Bethany I needed more pics to make it through the snow days -- - I promptly got this reply from Campbell:   "Mondays are such busy days --helping with the laundry!

I've enjoyed cooking -- I'm on my third big pot of soup for the storm. .beef stew with a secret ingredient I learned from Adelia.   We enjoyed her recipe for French Beef Stew the weekend before this weather set in.
I've made breads (got caraway rye in the bread machine, right now) it's been a good chance to try out some recipes that I don't get time to cook. Like Bethany says, times like this all you want is carbs!!! May even make some cherry jelly --  I still haven't made the shrimp gumbo I always make for the first snow or potato soup which is my standard cold weather food.  Terry's gonna be glad when I get back to cookin' REAL food. If we don't get back in school soon, I'm gonna be 30 pounds heavier!!!
 
 
that snow berm outside my dining room is taller
With forecasts of 60 degrees for next week, my winter sabbatical will soon be over -- I'll leave this little nest I've made on my couch in the den to return back to the classroom to 125 students to discuss such things as  family values, interpersonal relationships and communication.(Having been housebound for these 9 -10 days -- I'm gonna need some lessons in communication myself!)  There will be papers to grade, projects to launch and my regular routine to resume.  It's been a time to relax, renew, refuel and reassess.

I've even had time to read two books -- John's Grishom's latest -- and another new book by Dr. Mark Sheehan a Denver cardiologist, "Healing Prayer on Holy Ground" which was authored from  his years of watching God work in the lives of his patients. This book gave me something to "chew on" during my "cabin days".

     
    I want to share this excerpt from his book in which he quotes, Peter Kreeft -- Professor of Philosophy, Boston College.
 
I strongly  suspect that if we saw all the difference even the tiniest of our prayers make, and all the people those little prayers were destined to affect, and all the consequences of those prayers down through the centuries, we would be so paralyzed with awe at the power of prayer that we would not be able to get up off our knees for the rest of our lives.


Love God, And above all, pray.    --- Mother Teresa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers