God is in CONTROL

Friday, March 19, 2010

Campbell's Nursery Project


It was a fun week as Bethany and I stitched, chatted, designed and patterned Baby Campbell's room literally from fabric -to-fabric. We set up two machines on the dining room table (the table she has of my Mom's and on which I learned to sew when I was eight or nine).


We laid the fabrics out to decide where all those twenty-seven yards of brown polka-dot piping would go and then sewed on and on! It was a tailor's dream to work with so much fabric. I can't wait to sew yards and yards of ruffles for little "Miss C".
As we sat at mom's table we talked about her -- Mom scrimped and saved to stretch the fabric for whatever she was designing.


I'd like to think she was looking over our shoulders and proud of the way we pieced that one curtain lining together from four sections to make it work. I followed Bethany's lead -- and we put it together as she envisioned.



We shared lots of memories of her as we embroidered Campbell's name on lots of pieces!




Bethany designed a quilt she will stitch while she keeps her feet up watching all the March Madness basketball games with Mat.


The guest bedroom is painted a pretty light yellow suede (sort of Tuscany) -- but if you'd asked me on Tuesday when it took numerous coats to cover up the stale green on the walls-- I'd have said it looked like strained squash. (I fussed at Bethany about her type of paint -- and Ralph Lauren for making such thin stuff--even thought I needed to make a formal complaint to the manufacturer -- instead I just griped to B). Bethany reminded me I didn't have to do that job. Hey -- didn't I paint at Marshall's the last two visits? Surely, I could conquer this! ~~~ By Wednesday, when she added the suede strokes, we both liked the outcome!

As for crib bedding -- Here's the finished project!!!


In the nursery we spread out the curtain fabric on the floor, cut it to window sizes, stitched them together and had them temporarily hung by noon yesterday. (I'm leaving the curtain rods for Mat -- I'd rather give birth myself, than hang those rods)



I'm not so sure the men in our family fully understand female "NESTING" that seems to take over during the 2nd-3rd trimester. These two school teachers needed their plans to be completed far in advance of Bethany's last 6 weeks of preganancy --you remember the swollen feet -- and the pregnancy shuffle that comes towards the last half of third trimester. Since we only had Spring Break and it was only five days long -- we set out determinedly to make it all happen. We made a "target goal" for each day and by yesterday had to work at break-neck speed to make it come together before I took off for Tulsa. (By this time the kids were calling me a working machine -- I reminded them, I can't paint walls from Tulsa)


After five days and three trips to Hobby Lobby, Campbell's nursery is almost complete. . . carpets shampooed and the baby's room cleared for nursery furniture -- which will be brought over the end of March when their friends, (Brook and Adam's) two year old son grows out of his baby bed :) Yeah Carter!!!



I loaded all my gear back in my little station wagon yesterday afternoon and headed to Tulsa to meet Terry's flight from Honduras at 8:30. His trip was memorable and a certain "God-send" while mine was delightful and just what "Nana Jan" needed to get ready for Baby Hope's arrival. Thank you, Jesus for such a special time for this soon-to-be g-ma.




Exhausted, Bethany took a nap and then took a 2-mile walk to keep her and Baby HOPE healthy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers