God is in CONTROL

Friday, September 4, 2009

THINGS I LEARNED THIS WEEK . . .

High school students still do like to play with toys -- REAllY! The activity I planned for them to analyze toys to determine the lessons in leadership they teach us in our early years made for a fun Friday discussion.

One guy after cutting paper dolls in a peer leadership activity yesterday decided to put them on his rear view mirror. . . hmmm wonder what he's heard from his buddies on that one.

The play dough statue of their friend with the spikey hair really does look like him. They all decided to immortalize it and save for graduation.

Don't cross a student who is growling, squatting on the counter and calling members of his discussion group parasites and imbeciles.

When a student calls another student "THE THING", he really DOES NOT like the person.

Kids don't always look like their name -- I was sure her name was __________. How many days have I been calling her that? Better bone up on my seating chart this weekend.

Students, given the chance, can organize and run a great Youth Alive! I am so amazed at what I've been hearing from them, with their requests to be able to have prayer groups before and after school. What awesome sessions they had at both lunches on Thursday - with two juniors speaking -- it was so personally uplifting!

The weekend does go better when the papers are all graded! (Why do I give quizzes at the end of the week to 110 kids?)

By the time they are 18, there are kids who have had a deeply hurtful home life and are still SURVIVORS.

It's already Friday night and these are my thoughts and I'm sticking to 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers